The dermatologists at our San Francisco Bay Area practice customize acne treatments based on a number of factors. The root cause of acne is the same for most patients, but treating the condition requires experienced specialists who understand that certain cases respond better to one type of treatment than another.
The first step in controlling your acne begins by requesting a consultation using the online form, or by calling our office at (415) 292-6350 to schedule an appointment.
Meet Our Doctors
Our board-certified dermatologists have the training and credentials to address your skincare concerns. Learn more about their backgrounds. Kathleen M. Welsh, MD Andrea M. Hui, MD
Meet Our Doctors
What Is Acne?
While it is often considered a skin concern unique to teenagers, for many people it persists into adulthood. No matter your age, acne is a frustrating disease of the sebaceous glands that can rob you of your self-esteem. At Bay Area Cosmetic Dermatology, we offer a range of treatments that include medical-grade skincare products and prescriptions designed to reduce the number and severity of acne flare-ups.
The hormonal fluctuations that stimulate oil production and result in acne have diverse triggers:
- Genetic predisposition
- Certain medications
- Other external causes
That’s why the dermatologist treating you obtains a detailed skin history to identify the factors causing your breakouts. You will then have a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs and concerns.
There are no easy fixes, but consistent skin care, lifestyle changes, clinical treatments, and the use of medications can help clear up your acne and improve the appearance and texture of your skin.
Several procedures can provide optimal results:
Back to Top
- Beta Peel (Salicylic Acid Peel): This peel treats acne by breaking down the oils in the skin’s upper layers, cleansing and reducing the size of pores, and diminishing acne-related inflammation.
- SilkPeel® Microdermabrasion: Exfoliates your skin with customized results delivered directly into the skin. SilkPeel® is only offered at practices with medical directors — you won’t find it at day spas and salons.
- HydraFacial MD®: This is a comprehensive, 4-step treatment with a cleansing, exfoliation, extraction, and fusion phase. It is suitable for all skin types and unclogs oily and congested pores.
- Isolaz®: An FDA-approved acne treatment, Isolaz® combines laser and suction to unclog pores. It is an effective alternative to over-the-counter medications and can treat several types of acne. The treatment is relatively quick, with the procedure usually taking only 10 to 20 minutes.
- Eclipse Micropen®: Microneedling using the MicroPen® takes advantage of the skin’s natural healing process to treat acne and other skin conditions. The handheld device creates precise micro-injuries with tiny needles, triggering the growth of new collagen and elastin — the building blocks of smooth skin.